G-spot

Is the G-spot even real? If it is where is it located? 

Comments

• The G-spot is located on the anterior wall of the vagina (towards the belly button) about 1-2 inches in. It feels sort of spongy and has a different texture from the rest of the vagina.
  • Hi Kate.  Good question.  It's one that many people have.  Here is a brief excerpt from my book, Becoming Cliterate: Why Orgasm Equality Matters--And How To Get It" (HarperCollins, 2017) on the G-spot. I hope this helps. The book also includes a picture, and although I tried to attach it here I couldn't.  Hope this helps!  

The G-spot isn’t a spot on the vaginal wall at all—it’s an area that can be felt through the front (belly side) wall of the vagina. It’s made up of a number of distinct anatomical parts, including—but not limited to—the vaginal wall, the urethra, a spongy area of erectile tissue that surrounds the urethra, and parts of the internal clitoris. Many scientists now call this area the clitoris­ urethra­ vagina (CUV) complex. 

Let’s talk a little more about the urethra part of this CUV complex. A spongy area of erectile tissue surrounds the urethra. This spongy area is called the urethral sponge, the paraurethral gland, or the “female prostate gland”— a name given to it in 2001 by a group of world­ renowned experts who set the world standards for anatomical terms (clearly a big deal). Since the urethra and vagina are in close proximity, some speculate that the function of this sponge is to protect the urethra during sexual intercourse, acting as a buffer between the penis and the urethra. Regardless of its function, for the purpose of understanding where the CUV complex is located, the important point to remember is that this sponge runs along the roof of the vagina and can be felt through the vaginal wall. As you can see in the picture, it’s near the vagina and parts of the internal clitoris and clitoral bulbs— hopefully giving you a clear visual of the fact that the G­ spot is a complex area consisting of many structures— including our beloved clitoris!

Boiling down a lot of scientific debate on the G­ spot, here’s what we know. First, not all women can find this area. Second— very important— some women find it sexually arousing to stimulate this area and some don’t. And, interestingly, a recent group of researchers reported that the thickness of this area is related to how pleasurable a woman finds stimulating it to be. When I asked the women in my most recent class about their G­ spot, their answers reflected this diversity. Of those who had tried to find their G ­spot, 37 percent couldn’t find it, 17 percent found it but it gave them no pleasure, and 46 percent found it and it gave them pleasure and led to an orgasm. Yet— really interesting— the majority of the women in my class (about 60 percent) said they hadn’t even tried to find it. Truth be told, I’m in this camp. Because of what I do for a living, people oft en ask me if I’ve found my G­ spot—and I tell them I haven’t even looked. I know about a very reliable, easily accessible “spot” that gets me there every time. I figure why go looking for one that’s hard to find and that I might not even find if I look? To me it’s akin to searching for buried treasure when my ATM card is handy and my bank account is full.

My goal here is not to diminish the way any woman experiences orgasm. Indeed, becoming cliterate is all about learning what brings you pleasure and believing that you have the right to such pleasure. So, if G ­s pot stimulation or penile penetration is your thing, go for it. But if they’re not, please stop buying into the cultural myth that they should be.